Well, I have posted Ranelle’s things for her. (I have her do them in Word first so we can spell check and minimize our internet usage.)
I do need to get a few comments in, so bear with me.
These comments go back to the beginning of our journey here, so you will get a bit of deja vu going on.
Traffic: You see many movies with strange cities and awful traffic jams. Well, it’s all true. From the suicide taxi drivers (more later) to the range of vehicles to spotless new and broken down mopeds. It’s all true. Beijing and Changsha have shown me a new appreciation for the road. Lines! Bah! I laugh at lane markers, yield signs, and even pedestrians. The drivers manage to fit all their millions of cars on the roads because they manage to share it well. It is freaky to watch, but there is an almost liquid – sometimes musical movement to it. Yes, sometimes that music is a bazaar acid-punk-Motown remix, but it’s music. We’ve seen a few accidents, but I see more many days on Columbus roadways. – The oddest thing I’ve seen was probably a large delivery truck (medium U-Haul size) with the rear door bouncing open. I saw a couple men in the back just sitting there like any other morning commute. - you don’t see that every day around home.

The group: We have a great group of people we are traveling with. Each and every one of them has my utter trust. They are our friends. We have all shared something with each other that many never see. Miracle loves the group. Another couple brought their son and daughter. The daughter, Melissa, is 8½. She and Miracle love hanging around each other. They’ve gone swimming twice here in Changsha. (Can you believe Miracle waited until Tuesday evening to swim!! We’ve been so warn out by evening time, she has not had the energy to go, praise God! I hated to keep putting her off, but I think she really was fine with it.
Beijing: Beijing is a very interesting city. In 2008, the Olympics will be there. For mainly that reason, I believe, there is much new construction. They are breaking ground for the Olympic Village, new hotels are opening or being built, and there is a large multi-cultural presence. There are still the great historical items like the Summer Palace (also being renovated) and Great Wall. There is also people bringing horse and wagons into the city each day to sell some crops so they in turn can feed their family. Old, new, ancient, timeless. That’s my description of Beijing.
Around town pt 1: The first night we had Grace, we needed formula. We had thought to bring some, then decided to get some once in China (and sometimes the orphanage gives you some.) Well, the day got busy – if you can imagine – and here we were, late in the evening and no formula. Well, we decided to sacrifice the dad, and I went out on my own to get formula. OK, I know TC told me to “Never leave your group”, but I tossed that aside and figured – God help me, I can do this. I decided to go out the front of the hotel, and turn right. I could circle the block, never crossing the street, and it would be fine. Long story short, down the street to the LEFT, are a couple stores that sell what I needed. So, if you start to the right, it’s a long (long, long) walk around the block to get there. I met some interesting and helpful people (no English, though) and came back successful. Trust in the Lord, and he will lead you home.
Around town pt 2: Last night we got McDonald’s for supper. A couple guys and I went for it. We got a taxi in front of the hotel, and headed off. We told the driver where we wanted to go, and he drove, turned, and drove some more. Eventually, he pulled up next to a traffic cop and they exchanged some laughs. They decided that English was too confusing, and the driver took off, again. We drove some more, and pulled up next to a guard of some sort. This was no good either. Then one of the other guys asked for a pen and paper, and drew the arches. This worked. We wound up at McDonald’s and went in. The MickyD experience was odd, but went well. We took another taxi back. This was easier as we had a slip with out hotel name and such on it. To walk from McDonald’s to the hotel would take a good ½ hour. Our cab ride was 7 yuan (88cents). We gave the guy 10 yuan, and called it fair. I’m sure he liked the tip.
Airplanes and Airports: I hate flying. I’m not scared, and I see the great convenience of it. I even like watching out the window. It’s just there is so much inconvenience as well. Short hops are just plain stupid. You have to get to the airport early, and pay to park or have someone take you. You fly for maybe an hour, and then it takes at least an hour (can be more) to get from the airport to where you’re going. I’d rather drive. For this trip to China, however, flying is about the only way to get here (I know, boats still exist and you can drive across the Bearing Straight. But let’s be real.) In less than 5 days, I had at least 4 airline meals, flew on 4 different airplanes, and can see the safety talk in my sleep. I’ve been screened more times in the past week than I ever have been in my life. And doorbells make me want to fasten my seatbelt and check my tray table. Oh, yeah… did I mention that about every time I fly I get a sinus infection. Yeah, I hate flying.

The Reason: I’ve complained a bit, but you know what – I’d go through 100 times worse for my girls.
OK – well, enough for now. I may post some more this week. Tomorrow, Thursday, I will email some more pictures of Grace. See ya’ when I get home.
8 comments:
All I can say is you made me cry! I could re-read your sentence 100 times and never bore of it. "I would do anything for my girls." That sounded like music to my ears!I can see your face swelled up with the pride of them all. You deserve it, your day is finally here. Keep safe and we pray your infection goes away. At least try some Sudafed or Benadryl. Hurry home we miss all of you.
I'm sorry to get mushy on you Mike, but you made me cry. How like you to surprise us and get sentimental. I love it:) You're description of the traffic is fascinating and terrifying all at once. And I commend you for going off on your own like that. You should maybe even get a metal for that. It was probably stupid, but that is only what we would say if you had gotten lost. Since you made it okay, it was brave.
Oh, and since you have'nt gotten to hear this in about a week.....Ummm, Mike could you do something for me? I'll tell you all about it when you get back. This way you have something to look forward to. Don't ya miss me?!! hehe
Love
Heather
What a great story! Now that you have Grace and are acclimating to her and to China, there is something I have to know. Does anything in the stores there say "Made in USA"? Thanks for the pictures and the glimpse of China.
Love and Prayers, Eric
Awesome! God has surely blessed you guys tremendously. I'm glad to see all the pics and how happy everyone is. Can't wait to see Grace, oh and you all, too! Mike, it sounds like you might have another fish-brat eater in the family!!! I told Tammy why can't you guys just sneak a flight home now. We are all anxious to hear all the things and see you guys (mainly Grace). We love ya'll and are praying for your return.
Kory
Hi everyone! I am glad Grace is adjusting to everyone,which i knew she would.You all seem like a happy family and adding a baby to your life was a breeze.I am so glad Miracle found a friend to hang with of course she is such an easy person to get along with everybody.Thanks for the wonderful pictures and the journal of your days...Mike you are in the wrong line of business you should be a story book writer,grat stories and I hope your sinus infection heals...We will be praying for you...Just smell some of that real hot spices over there and that should clear your sinus's up real fast!!!Everyone take care and enjoy!!!Love and Prayers...God bless you all......Love Ann
Hi Miracle hope you are having a good time in China Love Brook
Mike you are a great storyteller. You made me cry. Iam so happy for you all. I love you guys so much and am so blessed that you are sharing this wonderful experience with all of us. I pray that you have a safe and healthy trip back home. Love always Lisa
Hey, Mike, this is really cool, your pictures are spectacular, and all of the mushy stuff is really sweet, but I have to confess: we were most impressed with the squatty potty and look forward to hearing all about it. Also, as one who has experienced the "flying sinus" problem, I feel for you. Also, I really liked the picture of Ranelle and the sleeping Grace. Nicole loved the ones of Miracle with Grace. We would also like to see one of you with both girls or an entire family portait. Give our love to Ranelle, Miracle, and Grace. We can hardly wait until you get back. Love, Lea :-)
Post a Comment