Friday, August 26, 2005

Guangzhou at last....



We made it to Guangzhou. The last leg of our journey has began.

We left the hotel in Changsha at 6:00 this morning. The alarm was set to go off at 4:30. For whatever reason, I was awake at 4:15. Grace woke up only once in the night and that was at 11:30. She took a bottle and went right back to sleep. I was so glad.

Yesterday was not a good afternoon. Never have I seen such temper fits. I could do nothing with her. Mike had to go to Lineker’s room to find out the plans for today and to get our adoption decree. When he came back, we were all three sitting in a row, crying. I’m surprised he didn’t just turn around and walk back out the door. When evening came, Grace was so tired, but she wouldn’t go to sleep. She took her first bottle (finally) at about 9:00, and Mike laid her down like we had been doing. Oh my, how she screamed. I couldn’t take it. I got her and rocked her to sleep.

I wasn’t sure what to expect today. She’s been very good. She didn’t really fuss when we woke her before 5:30. She was good on the way to the airport and while we waited forever in line. She ate some yogurt while we waited to board the plane. She stayed in the carrier and was very good on the plane. She cried during takeoff until I gave her a bottle, then she quieted right down. She played with her toys during the flight, and when they brought the snack, she dove in with relish. Unfortunately, I had no bottle to give her for the landing. She cried and writhed around, and then she suddenly stopped. She fell asleep. She slept for probably 10 minutes, then we had to deplane. She stayed awake during the walk through the airport (the largest one in China), and on the bus to the hotel. She helped me eat my rigatoni for lunch, plus she had more yogurt and a bottle. Mike took Miracle swimming, and I rocked Grace to sleep. That was at about 1:30. Her dad just got her out of her bed, and it’s 5:00. I pray she sleeps tonight. The rest of us are exhausted!

Miracle is acting like airports and flying are no big deal now. On the way over, she would clutch my hand during takeoff and landing. Now she barely even looks at me, let alone hold my hand. She hikes through the airport with her backpack, acting all big. Of course, in the past week, she’s been through six airports and has flown more than 8,000 miles. I guess she’s a world traveler now.

There is this place in Guangzhou called Danny’s Bagels. They only deliver, you can’t eat in. And they have American food!!! Cheeseburgers, turkey clubs, pizza, subs, hotdogs, French fries, potato skins, chicken nuggets. We ordered from there for lunch and it was wonderful!! I think we’re having pizza from there tonight.

Miracle is swimming again. Matt, Melissa’s dad, called and asked if she wanted to go. She said, “Yeah! Even if it means another bath!” That’s saying a lot for her. She hates to take showers and baths.

Tomorrow is Grace’s medical exam. It’s not like the physical she’s going to get once she gets home. It’s just something we have to do before she can get her US visa. Our consulate appointment is Monday morning at 9:30. Her visa will be issued on Tuesday, and we can come home on Wednesday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord!! You have started on the last leg of your journey. I am so happy, but I am sure not as happy as you.

About the meltdown. How many times have I told you that I have done that? Sometimes all you can do is cry. Especially when my babies where newborns and we were just getting to know each other. I didn't know what they wanted and they didn't know how to tell me. Grace isn't a newborn, but it is the same situation. This too shall pass.

It sounds like you have a couple of good travelers (meaning the girls). Thank God for that. And thank God for some American food. You guys probably miss that even more than you miss us.

The weather has gotten a little cooler here. We have some leaves on the ground and in the evenings it is beginning to smell like fall. Just in time for school to start.

You all are on my mind a lot. I am always wondering what and how you are doing. Thanks for all the updates. They help us know how to pray .(and okay, I am pretty nosy:)
Not much longer and you'll be home. We love and miss you.

Love
Heather

Anonymous said...

I am so happy your closer to home. I cannot hardly take it. I miss you all so much. I cannot wait to meet Grace in person. Although it seems I already know her so well. As for the three of you sitting and crying...it is good for the soul! Grace is just as stressed out as you are and also ready to get out of air planes and hotel rooms. She is just ready to get to her new and final home. Hang in there, you'll be home before you know it. It is very hard having a new baby and very very emotional. Just remember your not alone. Each and every one of us back home are praying. Also, when you get home don't hesitate to give me a call. I will come and rock Grace anytime you need it. Or rock you, or Miracle. I think Mike would maybe have to call Kory though! LOL
Be strong and full of the Holy Spirit. I love you all.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

One day, one step at a time. You will make it. And you will come to know each other just as you did with Miracle. You guys are doing so great. I would be terrified. I check your site every day and praise God for the wonderful things He is doing in your family. Of course it doesn't always seem so wonderful. Even as old as Miracle is you are still learning things about who she is and as she evolves into a young woman you will continue to learn. No two children are the same and unfortunately they do not come with a book. I always thought that just didn't seem right, but God does have a sense of humor. You are a good mom and dad and the love you have for your children shines through in your face. Thank you for sharing this special time with all of us. I have been anxious with you, rejoiced with you, and felt your homesickness in my belly. That made me cry. But be assured of this God is with you, the love that you have in the Lord and as a family will sustain you, and we are all here for you. Your mom and dad are fine. They miss you all very much. I have taken pictures to her from your site and offered to send a post for her but she said she doesn't know what to say that won't make you cry. Mom's you know how they are. To Mike, the tenderness that you show for your daughters is so important. They are so blessed to have you as their father. MIracle you are doing a good job taking care of your parents. It was good to hear that you are comfortable flying now. Some people never get used to it. Your sister is beautiful and you look so proud of her. You have alot to teach her. I'll see you all soon and you are in our prayers.

Love Shelia

Anonymous said...

Finally the last leg of your journey,just knowing that in a couple of days you will be back home and you can look back at all the happy and sad times you have endured on this journey..I bet Miracle is happy for chicken nuggets,even though they dont taste like our chicken nuggets, hang in there Miracle!!!!Its ok to cry I have had children for 26 years and I still cry its a woman thing....All of you have been troopers through this whole trip you are very inspiring to us,keep up the good work..My prayers continue for the family....Love and Prayers and may God be with you all....Mike real cute picture of you and your baby I was begining to wonder if you were even there,now I know because pictures dont lie!!!!Take care......Love Ann