Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Day 5






Our day is winding to a close.

Grace slept all night last night. We put her to bed a little before 9:00, and she slept until about 6:00. That was so wonderful!! She had a bath and a bottle, then we went down to breakfast. I have never seen a baby eat so much. She had 2 bowls of congee, a Chinese rice soup. Plus she had some Cheerios and a few bites of watermelon. Then she had another half a bottle. By the time she stopped eating her belly was so big it wouldn’t stay pulled down. Her daddy said, “No more belly shirts for you little girl!”

After breakfast we went to the Hunan Museum. It contains artifacts that are over 2100 years old. In the early 70s archeologists discovered the tomb of the wife of the first ruler of Hunan Province. It kind’ve reminded you of the Egyptians, with all the stuff buried with her. There was food, including animals. They had decayed but the bones were still there. There were containers of beans and wheat with some still in the containers. There were paintings and manuscripts on silk, there was clothing, and statues of musicians and dancers. And there was a preserved body. It wasn’t mummified, just well preserved. They had some of the internal organs in jars, and some of the acid found in the stomach was in a jar. The body was inside three coffins, and each were elaborately painted. They were beautiful. Dimple said the body was so well preserved because she had been buried very deeply.

We went shopping afterwards at a baby store. “Everything you need for your babies,” Dimple told us. I had forgotten to pack baby washcloths, so we got some there. We got four washcloths for 8 yuan ($1).

We finally got to go back to the hotel. We had lunch with the Pestingers, Melissa’s family. Nancy and Matt adopted a 3 year old boy named Jonathon.

After lunch we went back to our room. Grace was beyond exhausted. Nancy said she wanted to see if Jonathon would take a nap, then she would take the girls swimming. Melissa decided to come to our room to watch Kim Possible. Grace went to bed, but not willingly. She cried and cried and cried. She would wind down like she was going to stop, then she’d rev back up. Once she got to sleep, however, she slept for a long time.

When the movie was over I took Melissa up to her room. On the way down, for some reason, I went down one floor too many. The thing was, I didn’t even realize it until I got off the elevator and started toward our room. I was obviously too tired. So when I finally got back to our room I laid down and took a nap. Miracle was gone swimming when I finally woke at 5:45. I had slept for over two hours! Grace had woken up and was eating crackers and watching The Princess Bride with Mike when I woke up. Actually, she had been. Her daddy got to change her dirty diaper, not me this time.

She ate more crackers and congee later, and Mike and I put her jammies on her, along with some cream for her rash.

We ordered room service for supper. Now we’re watching National Treasure. I’m hoping we get to go to bed early tonight.

We made amazing strides today. Grace will now sit in a high chair and eat. She also sat in a stroller today. Right now she’s sitting on the floor beside her sister. She’s being very quiet, playing with some toys, and picking stuff off the carpet. Did I mention she’s a disaster of a cracker eater? She gets them all over everything. She tried to talk to Miracle, but Miracle is more interested in the movie than her sister. But she’s sitting on the floor!! That is so amazing!!!!!!!

I wish you all could see our hotel room. You would crack up! We wash out our delicates in the sink. It’s so humid here, they take forever to dry. We’ve got bras hanging from lamps, and underwear draped on the top of them. There are socks over mirrors, and baby clothes everywhere. I just hope everything dries before Friday morning.

I think Grace is about ready for bed, so I’m going to go. I hope you all have a good day. Talk to you tomorrow.

PS Please pray for Mike. He's starting to get a sinus infection. He has no antibioltics to take, and he's quite miserable. I don't want the flight home to be aweful for him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that Grace is adjusting to your rules. What is your secret for making a baby sleep through the night after one day? That is not fair! I'm sending my baby home with you! LOL
Once again, your trip is a blessing. Blessed by the Lord and awesome in so many ways. Hurry home so I can check out Grace's feet! You know how I love baby feet!

Anonymous said...

Well it sounds like you certainly have a good eater. She is going to be the non-picky type....she gets that from her dad. hehe. I absolutely LOVE all the pictures. Thank you, thank you thank you!!! I see what you mean about the belly shirt too. How cute.

It sounds like you guys are having a nice time. You won't want to come home and have to be around all of us "boring" people. And prices certainly aren't that good here either. Buy everything you can there. Do you think they would notice if you brought some gasoline back with you? It has to be cheaper there than here.

How wonderful that Grace is getting used to her strict parents....hehe. It sounds like you guys are all doing great. Maybe you should take some pictures of the laundry hanging in your room....you don't ever want to forget that. Does it make you appreciate that crazy dryer you have at home?!

Well we are starting to really count down the days here. The other day I was all confused and was thinking that this Wednesday you would be home. Soooo not. Do you miss us any? (Okay so I know lying is a sin, but what about pretending?....) We really miss all of you.

Love
Heather

Anonymous said...

You guys have a really cheerful child and she seems like she really loves being around you guys. That is really great. At least when you bring her home she will not get mad, hopefully. So I take it that she is finally getting attached to her daddy. Wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your trip. These pictures are the cutiest ever. Miracle is really excited to be a new big sister. See you when you get back.

Love,
Stacy

Anonymous said...

Iam so happy that things are progressing well. I love the pictures. She is so pretty. Hurry back because I am ready to smell Grace. I love the Baby Magic smell. I know am weird. I am praying for a safe and healthy trip home. Love Lisa, Amber and Charlie.