
Today we went out to Shamian Island for the babies' medical exam.
It wasn't as horrible as we expected it to be, but I wouldn't want to do it again either. We have 35 families in our group, and all the babies had to be checked, plus there were families there who were not in our group. There were three parts: Surgical/Medical (they checked her belly and just generally looked her over); ENT (she hated that the most because the lady held her head); and her blood pressure, temp, and measurements (she weighed 7.9 kg, and was 72.5 cm long). We were one of the first families to get finished. We went back to the bus where Grace cried for an hour because she was so sleepy she couldn't stand herself, but she refused to go to sleep. We left the Island about 11:30, and stopped at the Guangzhou Friendship Store. There we could shop for the babies. We bought a bowl. We could also buy food and water (never drink water from the tap in China. The Chinese don't even drink it without boiling it first.), and formula and wipes and whatever else we needed. I got some rice cereal. I'm going to try giving it to Grace before she goes to bed at night. Hopefully she'll sleep through the night without needing a bottle. I don't know what it is with her. She sleeps for three hours then wakes up and takes a bottle. Then she sleeps the rest of the night.

After we got back to the hotel we rented a stroller. Even with the carrier she's heavy!! Yes, Hollie, she is a chunky monkey! We walked next door to McDonalds (how conveinent is that?!) to have lunch. We all ate for less than $10 US. And that included ice cream!
Speaking of eating, the breakfast buffet here is fabulous!! It's our favorite so far. They have fresh fruit, pancakes, french toast, bacon, eggs prepared any way you want, and I don't even know what all. We ran short on time, so I didn't get to see everything.
We were running late because of Grace. It was in a good way, though. She took a 3 1/2 hour nap yesterday afternoon. Then, by 9:00, she was asleep again. Up at 11:30 for a bottle then back to sleep. At 8:00 this morning we were ready to go, and Grace was still asleep. Mike had to wake her up to get her ready for the day!! We were so excited!! And now she's asleep again!
Mike is at a paperwork party in Lineker's room. It's supposed to last for two hours. It's stuff we need for Grace's American visa. He was kind've afraid to leave us girls here by ourselves, considering what he came back to on Thursday. I think it was just our bad day.
By the way, thanks so much for all your prayers and words of encouragement. You'll never know how much they mean to us. Sometimes we forget we're not in this alone. I know all of you are with us in spirit. I just wish you were here in the flesh!
And Eric, the only American made thing I've seen so far was an American Standard toilet.
5 comments:
PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!!!!!!
You sound so much better. Power in prayer. And power in sleep!
I am so thankful her midical exam went well and all is nearly ready to go. I cannot wait to see her fat rolls. yippeee!!! I am not sure if you will be happy about more clothes for Grace or ready to shoot me? But none the less I have 4 huge sacks of stuff for her! Just a few summer things and a lot of fall and winter. A lot of socks for her tiny feet too. Dresses and panty hose as well. Guess what? When going through all of this stuff I had put back for Addison, none of it fits her, I found a dress of Miracles that Alyssa wore! Grace can wear it! It is so pretty. I thought Miracle would love the thought of that. I love the thought of you guys being closer to coming home. Your so missed. It will be our first prayer meeting tomorrow night with out you. We know you will be praying for us as we will be praying for you. Isn't it awesome how God can touch each of us so far away with these prayers? Guess where Kory is right now? At an exam for a job at Mead!!!!!!!!!!! God is awesome! Well, enjoy the rest of your life time trip. Your all such a blessed family to be there in China. Finding grace and getting Grace! Praise the Lord, I am ready to run and shout! I love you all.
You know I was thinking, when you guys get back to the states you are probably gonna suffer from sticker shock. How cool to only spend $10 at McDonalds.
I am so glad that Grace is sleeping better. And about the bottles, you will probably be glad she takes so many. It will help on the flight home.
Not only have you gotten some sleep, but it sounds like you are getting some good food too. I have been feeling really sorry for all of you. I think it would be exhausting to only have a bed to sit and relax on. I would really miss my couch. And my refrigerator. Eric would probably die if he couldn't go get a glass of milk before bed. hehe I would think all those things would greatly contribute to homesickness.
However, you sound like you have been renewed, thank God for that. He is so faithful. I know he will sustain you.
By the way, how much is 7.9 kg in pounds? You know I can't do math. I want to know just how chunky the monkey is. :)
Okay so I am going to confess that the treadmill is still in your house. Eric is working as fast as he can. I am really hoping to have it out before you get home. But as of right now it is still there. You know, confession is good for the soul, right?!
I'm praying that you all get lots more sleep and good food. You'll be home before we know it. (I think I am encouraging myself as well, I really miss you guys)
Love
Heather
shelia said...
I just realized the other day as I was putting the picture of Grace that I have back into my wallet I have become one of those obnoxious aunts that makes everybody look at there little darlings picture. I am always at the ready to show her to everyone and say here see my beautiful new niece. Do you think she looks a little like me, you don't oh well I guess it's just the way the light hits it. Anyway I know she is yours but she is ours too. She has been in my heart for a long time. By the way everyone says she is beautiful. Not that it really matters what anyone else thinks. I am so glad you feel better. You look beautiful and shiny and happy and I just praise God for all the good things He has done for you and your family. Brandon started high school and is doing okay. He is taking French and likes it. His bus picks him up at 6:11 a.m. and that is'nt so much fun. I think he misses you and is ready for you to come home now. Hollie misses you too. She was so upset the other day becsause she needed to talk to you about her house selling. I guess we are all just a little too needy, but you know what you never realize how important people are in your life until they are not there for awhile or even gone forever. I guess all of us have had a good taste of that lesson. Your homecoming is almost here it feels like we're rounding the bend and heading into the homestretch. I love you all very much and will talk to you tomorrow.
God Bless,
Shelia
Finally some rest!!!!You will get gerace into a routine and then she will be home and it will probaly start all over again untill she gets used to our time so we all better start our prayers right now so when she gets home her sleep habit will adjust right away .Just think a couple more days and you will be home in your own bed...I bet Miracle cant waite to see her bedroom and Grace will think that hers is the most beautiful thing she ever saw!!I am glad everything checked out ok for Graces medical exam and I am glad she weighs that amount and is that tall!!!I hope that is good...I am a dummy when it comes to that kind of math...The Mcdonalds looks better than ours I bet Miracle liked that and it was really cheap that is the best part of the meal..Well take care and thanks so much for including us in your trip it has been wonderful!!! Take care and God bless,my prayers are with you all....Love Ann
Ok,I found a site that did the conversion for us mathmatically challanged folk. Grace is about 17.4 lbs and 2.4 feet tall. I can see why you all get tired carrying her!! Who ever named her chunky monkey was right. :-)
Take care and hurry home, we all miss you.
Love,
Pam
Post a Comment