Monday, August 22, 2005

Got Grace !


We left our hotel this morning at 6:00. Our departure time for Changsha was 7:55. After one last wild ride with our driver, James, we were at the airport and ready to go get our babies!

The flight to Changsha took about 2 hours. It was a pretty turbulent ride. It felt as if it lasted forever. Finally, at about 9:00 we arrived in Changsha.

As we were landing, Miracle and I were looking out the window. Everything was so green and lush and beautiful. Then we left the airport and entered the city. Changsha traffic seems to be just as horrible as the traffic in Beijing.

We had enough time at the hotel to get our bags and have some lunch. Dimple, our Changsha guide (no, I’m not kidding) told us we would meet for preliminary paperwork at 1:30 pm. We would get our babies at 3:00.

The paperwork didn’t take long. In fact, compared with what we must do tomorrow, there was nothing to it.

We prayed together before we went to get our babies. It was wonderful to have that time with people who have, in a very short amount of time, become our friends.

It was about a 10 minute ride to the Civil Affairs Office. That was where we would meet our babies. One family is adopting a 3 year old boy. They saw him outside before they were hardly off the bus. He was so very beautiful.

There were babies in the room when we got there. They would call a family name, check passports and travel letter, then hand you your baby. I got to see a woman become a mommy for the very first time. It was an awesome experience.

Mike had went over to ask somebody if he would tape our turn. About that time they called our name. I was almost paralyzed. What was I supposed to do? I grabbed the passport and letter, and Miracle, and up we went.

The official looked over the papers, then the nanny handed me Grace for the very first time.

She was sleeping. All around us babies and mothers were crying. The noise was unreal. And here was this little angel, asleep in my arms. I was crying, Miracle was sobbing, Mike was, well he was Mike. I think he didn’t want all three of us falling apart at the same time.

She looks just like her picture. Her hair sticks straight up on top of her head just like Miracle’s used to. She still has her daddy’s cheeks.

She slept for the longest time. Lineker gave us more information about Grace’s schedule and what her accomplishments are. Mike took our picture with Grace’s nanny. When it was almost time to leave, she woke up.

I was holding her against my chest. She started to stir and raised her head. I thought for sure she would instantly burst into tears. She didn’t. She just looked at me, stared right into my eyes for the longest time. She looked all around the room, at Miracle and Mike, and still no peep. I thought for sure she would cry after hearing the other babies. She didn’t. She didn’t cry there or on the bus. I figured when we got back to the room she would let loose. No, nothing. God has answered our prayers. We asked Him to prepare her heart for us, for her to accept us as her family, for her not to be scared. He has done all of those things, and so much more.

We brought her back to the room and started getting to know each other. We discovered she loves Cheerios. When she gets done eating the, she just wants to get them out of the bag and play with them, She would rather beat two bottle caps together than play with her toys. She enjoys having a bath. She likes NutriGrain bars, and she would’ve eaten a French fry if I had allowed her.

She likes to play silly games like bending over my arm and bonking her head on the floor. She laughed aloud when we played that game.


She jabbered to us. So far her favorite word is, “dah dah dah dah dah dah.” I’ve heard “ma ma ma ma ma” a few times, but not as much. She also says, “Hi!” She’s obviously a genius!

Our angel is asleep in her crib now. She’s had a very big day. Her sister is getting tucked in now. I’m hoping I can take a shower before going to bed. If Grace stays asleep I’ll be able to. If she wakes up. I won’t. She won’t let Mike hold her. He can look at her, talk to her, and give her things, but he cannot hold her. Please pray that Grace will accept him soon. I feel so sorry for him.

I am not sure if Grace will be able to wear any of the clothes we brought for her. She’s wearing some 18 month jammies that we brought, and they fit her very well. They’re just a little big in the feet. I guess we’ll just have to see. We’re supposed to go shopping tomorrow, so I can always get bigger clothes.

Miracle is now in bed, and Grace is still asleep. I’m going to grab a shower. It’s been a really long day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness she is so beautiful!! I can't believe you finally have her. Praise the Lord!! He is awesome! How does it feel to be a family of FOUR? I started crying the second I saw the first picture and was still crying when I went outside to get George. I can hardly wait to meet her. Oh by the way, the chair is DONE!! Are you shocked? I knew you would be. So, I bet you guys are worn out. What a long emotional day you have had. That name Dimple really cracked me up. I was laughing and crying at the same time. So she is a chunky monkey huh? Thats good. You know most of us back here in ohio have a fondness for baby rolls. You are all in my prayers. George says congratulations. We love you and miss you.

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! She is gorgeous. I checked in while sitting here at my desk at work and started crying when I saw the pictures. I have ordered most of the folks in the office come and see. She is absolutely gorgeous!!Hurry up and bring her home!

Anonymous said...

Thank God for His wonderful care! Thank and praise Him for getting you safely to Grace. Thank and praise Him for this wonderful blessing. Thank and praise Him for allowing a loving family to bring that beautiful little girl home to us.
Keep safe, and love to all of you.

Anonymous said...

All we can do is cry and smile and laugh! She is soooooooooooooo beautiful. Your glowing and so is Miracle! The pictures are awesome. Praise the Lord she is with you. I told you she would not cry, she would know you and not be afraid. Hurry home so we can spoil her too. God is awesome, praise Him for Grace and for her family. Your all so beautiful! We love you so much and miss you too.

Anonymous said...

I swear, seeing Grace in your arms reminds me of Pam's grandbabies-something about their eyes. How did you find a Hart clear over in China??
Hopefully she has made up with her dad; Mike, continue to talk to her and stay close to her.
You will never know how much I admire your courage and faith in taking such a step.
May God bless all of you and give you a safe trip home.

P.S. How soon can I hold her?

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! She is so beautiful!!! I can't wait to squeeze her head. I was so excited when I hit the refresh button this morning and saw the new post!(Yes, I have been leaving the web site open 24hrs/day.)

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful daughter Mommy and Daddy!! I'm sorry, but I can't wait to get her in my arms and squeeze her. I read your post with tears of joy and thanksgiving running down my face. Thank you for sharing this blessing. I don't think you realize how much all of us here are receiving this blessing with you. I went to Foodtown this afternoon and Julie from church was in there working. As she was checking me out I began telling her about you all with Grace and started crying again, and then she started crying and we were praising God and it was just...well...beyond words.

I started checking for a post before 8:00 a.m. and then when it was finally there my computer messed up. I was kind of freaking out. Then Eric called and I could tell from his voice that he was all misty eyed. He said "Did you see her?" And I told him I could only get the first picture and a couple of sentences so he tried to email it to me...3 times with no success. By this time I am ready to go crazy, so I began flying around the house telling everyone they better be ready to go in 5 minutes or I would leave them. We hurried to moms where I finally got to see and read everything.

When Leah saw the pictures she wanted to know who that was. I told her it was Grace. She said in the sweetest little voice, "Did they go to K-Mart and get a baby?" She is very happy for you.

Well I guess I've taken up enough space. Selfishly we all want you home right now if not sooner. But really we pray that you enjoy this time together as a new family and that God will knit all of your hearts together and seal it with His blessing....which I know He is doing all of that.

God bless,
Heather

Anonymous said...

THE day finally arrives!!! i cant hardly see the screen for all of my tears of JOY!!! She is beautiful and she fits right in with daddys big round head!!! I cant wait ti squeeze those fat little cheeks!!! God really provided all of you with an awsome family but we would not expect any less from an "AWSOME GOD" Tell Mike not to be alarm because he still scares all of us and were used to him(hahaha)Grace will be ok with Mike,most babies like their mommies at first just tell him to just keep at it and she will eventually love him like we do!!!God bless and my prayers are still with you all Love Ann

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful little girl and she really fits in with the family. I hope you all the best of luck for the remainder of your time their and that you all have a safe trip back with the new addition to the family. She has Miracle's and your smile and you all look wonderful together. Congradulations and hope you are happy. God gave you a wonderful blessing and I am glad that she has you guys as a family. God bless and have a safe trip back so that we can all see her.

Love, Stacy

Anonymous said...

Hope all you guys are doing well and eating better. I don't know what to say I'm speakless I can't believe how wonderful and beautiful she is I am so happy right now I don't know how you guys can contain your joy. She justs fits right in on your pictures one big happy family but I would like you to post a picture of her with Mike I'm sure she is use to him now I hope his ankle is doing better. I miss you guys and can't wait to stand in line to hold her and I will not squeeze her head that's Heather and Eric's job. You better be ready to hand her over when you get back because there is going to be a line around the block that wants to love on her. I'm praying for your safe trip back without sickness and I can't wait to see you guys and your new addition. Give her kisses for me and tell her except more when she gets here. Tell Miracle that she is a wonderful big sister and we are so proud of her for sticking it out in a foreign country. We love you guys and God Bless and take care of yourselves. PS When are you coming back. Love Shauna