Sunday, August 28, 2005

Random Thoughts

I can’t wait to see the sun. And blue sky. There is so much pollution in the air over here, the sky has a constant haze covering it. You can tell the sun is up because it’s light outside, but you never actually see the sun like you do at home. I don’t know how they can stand it. And I wonder if it’s just a city thing, or is it like that in the country also? We’re not going out into the country, so we won’t be able to find out.

When Mike came back from his paperwork party yesterday, he had our clean clothes with him. They were very welcomed. I was out of pants and Mike was out of shirts. I have a feeling going without would be frowned upon. We’re hoping Lineker will send clothes out again tomorrow. That way, most of the clothes we bring home will already be cleaned. We’ve washed things out almost every day.

I have to tell you, Chinese women are very serious about their shoes. On our way back from dinner last night, it seemed like every other store was a shoe store. Personally, I don’t see how they walk around in those strappy, high-heeled things, but they buy lots of them. There are at least three shoe stores in our hotel here in Guangzhou. And they aren’t the kind you and I can afford either.

The China Hotel is amazing. I have never stayed in one like it. Of course, I hadn’t stayed in any 5 star hotels before this trip. They have a concierge, bellboys, and 24 hour room service. There are people whose only job is to open the doors at the front of the hotel. There is marble and crystal everywhere you look. And the beds are horrible. Mom would love them because they’re hard as rocks. I am sooooooo looking forward to sleeping on my pillow-top mattress!


Tomorrow is our Consulate appointment. None of us are actually going. The guides take care of all that. They will be submitting all the paperwork that was completed yesterday. On Tuesday we’ll go for the swearing-in ceremony and to get the babies’ visas.

Tomorrow afternoon we’re going back out to Shamian Island. We’re going shopping this time. We’re hoping we can find a stroller to buy to bring back with us. Having one for the airports would be wonderful. Hopefully we’ll be able to find an umbrella stroller that doesn’t cost too much.

Mike has fallen prey to that all-to-common parental mistake. He keeps calling the girls by the wrong name. I wonder what he’s going to do when there’s three of them to keep straight?

Miracle is anxiously awaiting a trip to the pool. The Pestingers went out to the Island and are going swimming when they get back. Miracle just can’t wait any longer. I think she might blow up!!


We haven’t really done anything today. There was a trip to a folk museum scheduled, followed by a tea ceremony. None of us were interested, so we skipped it. We slept late (after 7:00 for me!!), then went to breakfast. Grace again amazed us with her appetite. She had watermelon, French toast, pancake, and oatmeal. The only things we’ve found, so far, that she doesn’t like is ice cream and apple juice.

We have several ministers in our group, and one arranged a church service. It was on our floor, right outside the elevators. You could see our room from the “church.” It wasn’t anything like last week’s service in Beijing, but it was nice to be together and to hear the Word.


After the service, we walked around outside for a little bit. We bought a long sleeved shirt for Miracle for the plane ride home. She about froze all the way over here! We were going to go to McDonalds for lunch, but they were very crowded. We came back to the room instead and had Danny’s again. Maybe McDonalds for supper, I don’t know.

We only have two full days until we get to come home. There’s more time behind us than before us on this trip. We are all so glad.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you guys are living large in your 5 star hotel. You'll come home and expect all of us to be waiting on you hand and foot. :-)

I am curious about the shoe thing. Are they pretty shoes, or unusual? Do they look like what we would wear here? I wonder why they are so crazy about their shoes?

Mike, I totally sympathize with you on the name thing. Just give Ranelle some time and she will be doing the same thing.

How funny that Grace doesn't like ice cream of all things. Actually Joshua doesn't like it either, and I think it is because it is too cold for him. Maybe it's the same for Grace.

I was just telling Eric on the way home from church this morning that you guys only had 2 full days left in China. I know you have the long trip home, but at least you will be on your way. We can hardly stand the wait. Your mom requested prayer for you this morning in church. But we have all been praying for you anyway and we will continue to do so. Guess what?! It's not just Grace that I can't wait to get my hands on. I really want a hug from all of you.

Love
Heather

Anonymous said...

Mike, Ranelle and Miracle,
Words can not express how I felt when I looked at these pictures !
She is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can not wait to see her and hold her. And well, of course for you all to come home either ! Love and miss ALL of you !Have a safe trip home !Karen
you crazy kids get home now! she is so beautiful! i call first dibs on holding her i dont care if sara is your prayer partner im holding her first!!! i miss you soooo much! (high five mike) tell some random person on the street someone in america said hi! ranelle,i have so much to tell you. hi miracle are you having fun? hope so.bring me home some cat. love you all jUsTiN
hey guys!!! hope you all are having fun.i cant wait to hold her! (and yes, i'm holding her first....at least before justin!!)
ha,ha. I saw the pictures. she is so adorable!!(hi Grace!!!) Hey Miracle!!! are you having fun? you'll have to tell me all about it when you get home.okay!so how did you guys like church? is it anything like ours? you guys are all in my prayers and i miss you sooo much!cant wait for you guys to get home with Grace!! have a safe trip home!!!love you guys!!!!!! (once again Ranelle...i AM your prayer partner, and i AM holding her before justin!! ha,ha)
love and prayers,Sara
Hey you all great news! I love you! I didn't get to see the pictures of the baby but I can just imagine. Also Mike my man we really need you to return to church because Brandon stinks at the computer. Oh yeah I almost forgot I just twisted my ankle for the 100th time in a row. But anyway I hope you all have had a good trip. Enjoy the rest of the time there. love ya all. ( Try not to eat any dogs or cats because we already have some fixed over here. Ha! Ha! Ha! )
>love Aaron<
Ha whats up.
Love Andy

Anonymous said...

I know you say China is hard to see because of all the pollution but it still sounds beautiful. The hotel sounds like a dream. Except for the beds! It must be a little nice to have someone to open your doors and carry your bags. I think that is what Kory has me for! he he
Try to enjoy your last couple days there, I know your ready to come home though. Thank you so much for allowing us to read all this about Grace and your trip. It is a very special time in your life and you are sharing with all of us. Thank you! Hey Mike! Good luck with keeping the names straight. Kory says it is only because we have all A's here. I tried to tell him it don't matter. When you figure a way to keep it straight, let us know! You can resort to what my Dad does....all of us girls are "hey girl" and the boys are "hey boy". That sounds better to me. How about you? Well once again, we miss you. Cannot wait to see you all. Love, Tammy

Anonymous said...

Ranelle, I have a message from Randy to you. He said to tell you that he knows that you are homesick, but please use the time that you 4 have together over there to bond into a family away from all the distractions here at home. He said that you are homesick now, but Grace is kind of at home now, and when you do finally get home, she will be half the world away from what she knows but if you have bonded into a family, you will be able to help her adjust so much better. See, big brother is still watching over you and wants the best for you.

Love,
Pam

Anonymous said...

Well it's almost time for that long trip home and I'm sure you will all be excited to return. Hey I'm sure you'll have so much to do when you get back take some advice leave it until the day after you return you deserve the rest and you can deal with that mess tomorrow. Tell Mike if he ever figures out the name game to let me know how he does it because I actually have to go through all my kids names before I get the right one so I just give up on trying to figure it all out. Don't listen to Justin and Sara I get to hold her first well probably not because there will probably be a line out the door and I'll probably be last. My due date is April 12th the day before yours We'll be mommies together isn't that great I'm soooo excited for you. I wanted to tell you something Ranelle I know why you got both of your miracles. You followed God's plan to get Grace and before that you were trying to have a baby and instead God told you that you would get Grace so you followed what God told you to do so since you listened and followed his plan instead of your own he gave you what you asked for first. That gave me goosebumps when God told me that and I wanted to share that with you and tell you I'm so happy for the wonderful family you are creating and I love you and miss you and can't wait until you get home safe and sound and well. Can't wait to see you guys next weekend Take good care of yourselves and see you real soon. Love Shauna

Anonymous said...

What an awesome and tiring experience you all have had. I've just sat back and watched God's glory from a distance. I'm so happy for all of you. I'm so glad you got to have Church the entire time you've been there. I have been praying so hard through your entire trip that you'd be able to sustain spiritually on such a physically wearing trip. Sounds like you're doing just fine. We all can't wait to see you. I've been praying for that baby so long that I don't know what I'll do when I actually see her. I may just hold her for awhile and praise God for the enormous grace(no pun intended) that he posesses and gives so freely. I see miracles in life everyday. Some choose not to see them, but I choose to watch and recognize miracles so I never forget how much in awe I am of my Father in Heaven. May your trip home be safe and without stress. I'm sure you'll be bombarded with guests wanting to see the Chinese Stork's new delivery but when you get a chance have us over and we'll bring the food. God Bless and see you soon. Kiss Grace for me and tell her that God is just as big, just as gracious and just as loving in America as He is in China. I don't know what God's plans for her are but I know he doesn't bring someone half way across the world for no reason. What an awesome life. She will have already travelled further than Christopher Columbus' maden voyage to North America and she's just a baby. Bring me back a cheesy snowglobe. I don't know maybe a great wall of china with the cheap glitters that fall all over the place. I'll put it between my Chicago and Vegas ones that the guys from work bring me back.

Anonymous said...

The time is getting closer.I know that you guys are getting your bags pack.Just think in a couple of days youe journey will be over and you will be back home with all your crazy family and friends...TeLL Mike the mixing of name is normal I still call all my kids by different names so he is normal after all!!!!I hope your guys trip is smooth I will pray for all of you and especially Grace it is really hard for babies just make sure you have plenty of bottles for her to suck on it helps with the ears hurting.Your motel sounds really nice,tell Mike that he better start to get in practice of waiting on you and foot and start opening your doors for you....(ha ha)Well you guys take care and enjoy rest of your short trip and our prayers continue...Love Ann

Anonymous said...

Hey Ranelle, no Miracle, no I mean Mike, I feel your troubles. I have a problem with names, too. I've come up with a solution. Just call them "hey girl", you can't go wrong (for now!!!) Whenever you get back and get settled in, we'll have to plan a golf outing for a few laughs and fellowship. Well A LOT of laughs!!! Can't wait to see ya'll. Yes, you too, Ranelle. I'll be praying for your safe flight home.

Anonymous said...

Names? We don't need no stinkin' names. That's why they all look different. Love to hear you are all adjusting well to each other!!
I'm with Miracle on the freezing on the plane thing. I don't know why they keep the planes at 48 degrees. Have a good trip home!!