Saturday, August 14, 2010

Our Big Vacation: Day 8

Okay, so I'm a little behind. Isn't that what vacations are for?

We packed up and (sadly) left the gulf coast this morning. We were fortunate enough to drive across the Florida Turnpike. Wow. I'm not sure where their toll money goes, but it's surely not road maintainance!

We made it to the Kennedy Space Center sometime after 1:00.



It. Was. So. Stinkin. Hot.

I am never one to complain about the heat, as I hate and despise cold weather, but I was almost ready to complain. Thankfully, we got to ride on air conditioned buses for our tour! We saw rockets and space ships


and part of the thing that moves the ship onto the launch pad. It takes 8 hours to move one of the shuttles three miles. And the thing that carries it is as wide as 8 lanes of traffic and can carry over, I think, 3 million pounds. We got to look inside a shuttle,

and we got to sweat an awful lot.

We drove down to Cocoa Beach, where we were spending the night. Everyone was exhausted, but we had to eat. We wound up down at the Pier, and had dinner there. We had the absolute best seats in the house- over the Atlantic Ocean.


What a day. Tomorrow, we begin the trek home.

No comments: