Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Awake 21

At the beginning of the year our pastor announced something new for our church. We were going to be participating in Awakening. We would be doing a corporate fast for 21 days in January.

Fasting is not something I've ever done regularly. I've done a couple of one day fast in the (distant) past, but never for so long a time. And he wasn't telling us what we were to fast. He wanted us to seek God and find out for ourselves what He wanted us to do.

I will be honest and say I was not excited about this (our pastor was excited enough for everyone), but, obedience, ya know? So I began praying.

Some people were going to do a Daniel Fast, some only sugar, some caffeine, whatever they felt like the Lord was telling them to do. I still didn't know what to do. Mike didn't really either so I didn't feel too bad.

Before I knew it, the time had come to begin the fast. And unfortunately, I knew what I was supposed to do. Since we would be fasting for three weeks, I was to fast from three things, one each week. The first week, the only thing I could do online was check my email. The next week, no television. The third week, no Coke.

Let me just say, the third week has been the most difficult. I had a headache yesterday that could've killed a horse. Thankfully it's gone today. More thankfully, there's only four days left.

No comments: