Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Evenin'

I'm actually writing this part Sunday evening. Hopefully I'll remember this draft tomorrow when I go to email you guys.

Anyway, there was so much I wanted to tell you guys tonight over Skype, but as soon as I sat down, it was just gone. You know how it goes. But where to start...

I guess I could start with yesterday. The first flight was...interesting, I think is the adjective. Since it had been so long since I'd flown, I was a little nervous, I'll confess. But once we took off (with me furiously chewing my gum), I was fine. Oh, and I gotta say: Since the last flight was longer, I spit out my gum because it stopped tasting like gum, right? So almost as soon as they announced us to be making our initial descent, my ears agreed that yes, we were going down. Cue more gum.

But I did end up with a window seat (after moving to let three siblings sit together), and I am so glad. At one point we were so high above the ground were were sandwiched between the sapphire blue of the upper atmosphere and a really pale blue sky below us - we couldn't even see the ground. Oh, and we went through some clouds. :D

The heat here is really not as bad as I thought, at least not yet (knock on wood). It's about like home in the middle of summer. Admittedly, we can get some pretty intense summer days, but at least it's familiar. It hasn't even been as humid as I thought it would be. At least not yet (knock on more wood).

It's so beautiful here, though. My camera is broken (so sad!), but even if it was working, I don't think any pictures could do this place justice. The scenery it's absolutely gorgeous, and everything is so green! And there's a volcano - inactive - about two hours from where we are. We saw the flat top on the way in from San Salvador.

We also avoided the cow in the road.

Oh, and Alex wanted me to ask you, Daddy, how youth went yesterday (it's Monday now). Also, last night at church there was a little boy on his mom's lap who was just fascinated by me. He kept staring at me like "She's so pale! Is something wrong with her?" He was so cute. He even smiled at me eventually. Aww.

Today was alternately intense and slow. It was our first VBS day, and it was pretty fun. I was one of the people who served the kids food - which, thankfully, didn't require much Spanish. I ended up making some little friends after the sessions. Of course, I couldn't understand half of what they said, and even when I asked some of the older girls "Que es (whatever)?" I couldn't always understand the explanation. But it was okay. A couple girls I played with after the first session were delighted by the granola bar I split up and shared with them. All in all, I'd say it was a good VBS day.

Oh, and that's why I didn't email you today. I was sitting with some of the kids after the afternoon session when Riley poked her head in to tell me where everyone was going to be. They hadn't been planning on emailing then, I don't think, so she couldn't tell me that, so I just stayed with the kids. But hopefully I'll remember to send this in the morning, so at least you'll have that.

Anyway, their hammocks here are amazing. Like seriously. Our host family has around half a dozen of them, and they're sooooo comfortable. If I knew where to put it, I just might get one.

Maybe it's a good thing I can't think of a place to put it.

It rains here every night, at least during the wet season, which is what we're in. Tonight it didn't rain for quite a while after it got dark, and we were pretty weirded out. I was starting to wish it would rain, if only to keep the bugs down. Ugh. I'm not covered in itchies yet, and, Lord willing, I'll stay that way (please, God).

There was more I wanted to tell you, but of course I can't remember. I thought about it last night after I went to bed (it's Tuesday morning), but...yeah. It's about as helpful as thinking of things in the bathroom - as in, not at all. So I'm just going to leave it here for now, especially since it's about time to send this.

I love you! And I'll be home sooner than you think. :)

~Miracle

No comments: