The Science curriculum we use has many different kinds of experiments to do, to reinforce what you're learning. The last unit we did was about plants, and we were to plant some seeds in various types of environments and record what happened.
There were four of us so we used four cups; one had potting soil, one had plain old dirt, one had sand, and one had a mixture of potting soil and sand. Mike and I were pretty sure we knew what was going to happen.
We figured the potting soil and the dirt would produce, maybe the mixture, and nothing would happen in the sand.
We were so wrong.
Well, we weren't entirely wrong. The dirt did, indeed, produce a sprout. But the potting soil/sand mixture did so first. The potting soil did nothing, even after I cheated and buried another seed. And tonight when I checked, there was a little green sprout poking its head up out of the sand.
Give me History and Language Arts any day. Science is just weird.
No comments:
Post a Comment