Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Adventures of 2008

Can you believe it's almost a new year? Where has the time gone? I guess it helps when you've got munchkins to help pass the time. Indeed, they're almost necessary.

So, what's happened in 2008? Here's a brief recap:

1. Miracle traveled to the UK for 20 days. Without her family.

It was fabulous for her, a one-of-a-kind experience. I think she got bitten by the travel bug, though. She's already planning her next trip.

2. Sam dislocated his elbow three times.

I told Mike our insurance company was going to turn us into children's services for child abuse.

3. Grace made amazing strides.

She went from crying hysterically each Sunday morning when we dropped her off at class, to talking about her class non-stop throughout the week. She absolutely loves it, especially her "best friends Jaylee and Jozie." We hear about them an awful lot. Plus, public restrooms, while not exactly her favorite place, no longer cause her to scream hysterically as if she were being beaten to within an inch of her life.

4. Scooby Doo is still the most awesome cartoon ever made in the entire world.

As with their sister before them (and both parents) Sam and Grace are totally enamored of Scooby, Shaggy, Freddy, Velma, and Daphne. And , let's not forget Scooby Dumb and Scooby Dee.

5. I returned to the stage.

Now, I realize that sounds much more important than it actually was. I was in the Christmas Cantata at church this year. It was the first time since high school that I had to learn an alto part. Plus, I got to wear a white choir robe which ensured I looked like a giant marshmallow.

6. Mike got to turn our house into an even bigger tech haven.

We turned off our satellite TV in the spring, and we've been getting our shows online since. We've got a computer hooked up to our TV and to every other computer in the house (believe me when I say that's a lot), and it's just a nerd paradise.

7. My dad broke his heel and spent a month and a half in a nursing home recovering.

It's a scary thing when you realize your parents aren't as young and resilient as they once were. But, he's home now and recovering well. He's even behaving himself!

8. We learned the pain of losing a pastor.

Our senior pastor had battled a heart attack (doctors said it was a "widow maker") and two bouts of cancer. The third time, we didn't get the outcome we prayed so hard for.

9. We stretched ourselves in homeschooling this year.

For the past three years we used an online charter school that was licensed through the state. Because it was a public school, and therefore financed by public tax dollars, they provided everything. They sent us a computer, printer, monitor, all our books and supplies for art and science. This year, with Miracle starting seventh grade (SEVENTH GRADE, people!), we decided to do something different. We are now traditional homeschooling, which means we research and gather curriculum, plan lessons, make up tests, the whole shebang. Plus, there's a whole new teaching style from what Miracle is used to, so that make things even more challenging.

10. I really can't think of another thing, I just couldn't leave it as an odd number of things.

So, how about some pictures from the past year instead? ( Yes, they're backwards from December to January, but I'm too lazy to re-order them month by month. )





























































2 comments:

Tausha said...

They blurry picture of you and Sam sleeping in a chair............didn't you have that sweatshirt in High School?!

Ranelle said...

While that is, indeed, an old sweatshirt (it's older than Miracle), it doesn't date back to high school.