Wednesday, October 03, 2007

One of the things I always remember about our trip to China is the church service in Beijing.

Don't misunderstand, we were freaked out the entire time, but on the first Sunday in China (you know, half way around the world from everyone we knew), we were extremely freaked out. We hadn't gotten over the jet lag, nobody was sleeping really well, we really wanted some normal food. We really wanted to go home.

But anyway.

The church was gigantic. There was amphitheater-type seating. We were late getting in, so we sat near the top. The stage looked very far away. It was really weird because there were many, many Caucasian faces in the crowd. (That's one thing about going to China. You get to briefly experience life as a minority. We got a taste of what Grace will deal with her entire life.)

There was a praise and worship band, of course. I only remember one song we sang. How Great Is Our God. It was the first time I had ever heard it. It really made an impact on me. I was seeing the greatness of God like never before. I WAS STANDING IN A CHURCH IN CHINA FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!!!! Whoever would've thought that would happen. Certainly not me. We were singing praises to a God that the government of that country says doesn't exist.

That came to my mind last week while we were in the van. I don't know where we were going. Probably WalMart. But the great thing was, Grace was in the backseat singing How Great Is Our God.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

He is so great, He is so awesome.

How do I even explain what it meant to me to hear our little Chinese hillbilly singing that song?

I don't think I have the words. Just trust me. It's an incredible feeling.

1 comment:

Tausha said...

That gave me chills.