
I know it's been a while since we posted. It's kind of sad, really. I even had a week off from work and never got around to sharing any news. I get stuck in a rut waiting for a good picture to post, even when really interesting things happen. So, now we need to catch up. I won't be dumping a whole lot on you, I'll just catch the highlights.
My Birthday:
Two weeks ago, I turned 35. I usually do not work on my birthday, but since Miracle was having her left tube removed from her ear on Monday (Martin Luther King Jr Day), and I was taking some time off to get some things wrapped up, I chose to work. I made a mistake. Several projects crashed together that week, and my team was like a ship taking on water, with a hurricane on the horizon. I worked at home in the evenings on stuff, I forgot to eat lunch a couple days, and overall, I was getting cranky. I do my best to not let work get into my personal life, but it wasn't working and I was going nuts. On my birthday (Friday), I worked through lunch, and left work late. Happy, happy, joy, joy. {flash forward - - I am doing better. I apologized to my boss for getting cranky. Things could still be much better, but I am not going to let it get to me. I spent some time in prayer, and I am going to make myself take time mid-day to pray and get away for a little bit.}
The Baby's room:
The week after my birthday, we began redecorating Grace's room to be a shared room for Grace and Sam. We had planned to start over the week-end, and as most plans go... we didn't. By Wednesday, we did have a start at least, the old border came down. As the next days passed, we got the walls painted, and finally over the week-end we got the new border up. So, what was "The Blue Room" when we moved in had cycled through "The Peach Room", to "Grace's Room", and is now "The Babies' room". Now don't worry, we didn't get all wacky. The walls are a light green (I call it a soft mint), and the border is not girlie, but is not teddy bears. And teddies are something every child enjoys. We still need to get a toddler bed for Grace, so Sam can have the crib. That is going to be an interesting time, and I warn you now, it won't be pretty.
The Body:
Miracle always has some interesting things for Science in school. We just finished a unit on solutions, and about every lesson had the kitchen full of odd-smelling combinations of stuff. We mixed, shook, distilled, and chromatographed a large array of solutions. As her Science teacher, I got to share all these things. We both had lots of fun. Currently, we are studying the human body.
The first lesson involved the voluntary and involuntary nervous systems. The experiment called for touching your toes, jogging in place, and jumping jacks. Miracle had just had her surgery, and was on light duty. So I got to be the guinea pig. Be glad there are no pictures.
In another lesson, we got to do a bit of chemistry while we studied the senses. We mixed up sweet, sour, bitter, and salty solutions and placed them on Miracle's tongue. When we started, Miracle didn't realize what was going on. By the 2nd solution, she knew that when we hit the right spot on her tongue... WOW - rinse!

The Brain:
I have to begin a new section for this. We got to make a brain! Well, not a real one. But hey, we got to make a brain! After learning about the brain, we mixed up mashed potato flakes, water, and sand in a gallon freezer bag. mmmmm, yum. The book says that will make a lump (my word) about the same size and consistency of a real brain (brains!!! brains!!!). I think we were supposed to leave it in the bag. But oh no, not me. So we opened the bag and let Miracle feel it. GROSSS. Then we took it out of the bag. Words cannot describe it. I let Grace feel it too. She wasn't sure what to think. She wouldn't touch it to feel it, but she liked to poke it.
If you want, I'll post the 'recipe' and you can make your own. - post a comment if you really want to know.

OK, that pretty much catches us up. I will try better to keep the news rolling. I also want to get more pictures. Want want want....
see ya!
1 comment:
Happy Chinese New Year, the year of the Dog. yesterday!! :0)
Best Wishes for the New Year! :0)
Post a Comment