After having at least one sick person in the house from just after Thanksgiving until just before Christmas, the diseases finally left. We had a wonderful Christmas this year. All of us stayed in our pajamas the entire day. I fixed a big lunch, we ate too much, the kids played new games, we ate more, the end.
It took until New Year to recover from all the eating, then reality slapped us in the face. Mike had to go back to work, and the kids and I had to start back to school. Now please keep in mind, we had been on break the entire month of December. We did absolutely NOTHING academic. It was time to pay the piper.
Since we started on a Wednesday, we did math and history. It was an easy way to begin. Today we added reading. That wasn't too bad. Sam learned that 'ea' makes the long 'e' sound (it makes lots of other sounds, too, but for us, it's long 'e.'). Grace reviewed the difference between digraphs and blends and we started blends at the beginning of words.
Math, for Grace anyway, was a nightmare. We're reviewing Roman Numerals (on a side note, why do we have to learn these? We are not Romans and we have actual, you know, numbers.), and it is not going well.
Fours and nines are very confusing. So is forty. And I understand the confusion, I really do. I just can't figure out how to overcome the confusion and help bring about understanding.
Ugh. I hate math.
No comments:
Post a Comment