Tuesday, September 13, 2011

One Plague After Another

I don't know if it's the weird weather or of we're just lucky, but we've been over-run by insects of one kind or another since spring.

First we had carpenter bees. They were all over the back porch, scaring Grace and Sam half to death. We couldn't convince them the bees only wanted to make houses for themselves in the wood of the porch.

Horseflies were next. They appeared out of nowhere the first part of July. They were horrible and everywhere. You couldn't get away from them outside, so we just stayed inside. And they bit.

When it started cooling down, the horseflies left and the sweat bees moved in. Yeah. I didn't understand why they showed up after we stopped sweating, but they did.

Now we have little gnat-things. And they're in the house. We couldn't figure out where in the world they were coming from and why, no matter how many we killed, their numbers never diminished. I eventually discovered the source- potatoes in a bag that no longer really looked like potatoes. The gray potatoes are gone bu the gnats remain.

I'm hoping after we get rid of them we get no replacements.

No comments: