Monday, May 03, 2010

Now We Know Just How Goofy Our Son Is

The tubes are in and the adenoids are out. All in less than 20 minutes. Well, the surgery lasted less than 20 minutes. The drama lasted considerably longer.

We had to leave the house before 7:00 this morning. After not really sleeping last night, getting out of bed was even less enjoyable than usual. Sam, of course, was sitting up in his bed waiting for me, at a little after 6:00. Sometimes I honestly think he believes sleeping is a sin...

We were actually a little early to the surgery center. Sam was impressed with their level of toys. He threw a fit about putting on the ID bracelet, so we waited until he had gotten his "happy medicine" to put it on him.

He was amiable to getting weighed, difficult to get measured for height, and thrilled to close the cabinet door for the nurse who got his gown and socks. He thought the gown and socks were awesome, the thermometer under his arm was awful, and the thing on his finger was boring. He really did not care how many mountains his finger made on the little screen.

The bear was fabulous.

And the best part was, there was a paw print on it's shirt so that meant it was a clue!!

(I'm pretty sure the angels started singing the Hallelujah Chorus right then and there. At least in Sam's mind.)

Getting the teddy bear meant he had taken his "happy medicine." And that's when we realized how goofy he really is.

Why?

The only noticeable change in his behavior was that his movements slowed down.

Not long after that, we watched them wheel him away. He was thrilled to be taking a "bed ride." And then Mike and I had to go back to the waiting room. That was the worst part.

It didn't take long, however, and the doctor was soon assuring us that everything was fine. Then it was back to the waiting room for the long wait (we thought).

Usually you have to wait about an hour after surgery before you get to see your child. They are taken to recovery and given some medicine to wake up. They are usually upset and disoriented at this time. They sleep a bit longer, then you get to see them.

Did you notice the "usually" at the front of the first sentence? I had to put that because of course Sam was not cooperative. We had only been seated for about 5 minutes when the nurse was calling for us. As soon as we turned the corner we could hear him. He was absolutely hysterical, inconsolable. It was worsened by the fact that he wasn't completely conscious. I wound up climbing into the bed with him and holding him so he would calm down. He desperately wanted the IV out of his hand. They actually took it out early, just so he would remain calm.

We finally got him awake enough to drink some water and apple juice and eat a few raisins. He took a little walk ("Mommy I want you to carry me.") to get some stickers he did not care about (at the time). We were talking about leaving when he threw up everywhere. Thankfully. we had another set of clothes for him.

He felt better afterwards, and they let us leave. He almost made it home when he threw up again. That was the last time, praise the Lord.

We got home and he sat on the couch watching the Meep Meep (that's Road Runner to everyone else), drinking water, and eating pretzels. He was upset with me because I wouldn't let him run around. And, he had to shoot Daffy Duck from the couch because I wouldn't let him get up and be Elmer Fudd.

The nurse told us to keep him quiet for four days. I said, "So, his sisters can't come home?"

I think it's going to be a long week.

1 comment:

Tausha said...

And I thought it was girls who brought all the drama! :-)

Glad everything is ok!