Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pardon Me if I Don't Agree

At church this month, our pastor has been preaching a series entitled "Matters of the Heart." It's been about relationships and marriage, the important aspects of them, what you need for a successful marriage, that kind of thing. Next week, our youth pastor and his fiancee are going to be talking about dating.

After service was over this morning, a lady sitting behind us announced that she "could probably teach a class on being married."

"Oh, really?" I replied.

"Just because you're single, people think you don't know anything, but I could teach a class on marriage. I could teach you some things."

I was trying to get away from her, and not just because I needed to go get Grace from class. You need to understand that THIS WOMAN IS NOT NOW NOR HAS SHE EVER BEEN MARRIED.

The more I thought about it, the more aggravated I became. I understand that before you are married you have ideas (and ideals) about how it will be. The reality is usually much different. To me, it would be akin to my telling her how to run her farm. I know nothing of farming. I've never cared for chickens nor have I ever been responsible for baling hay. Why would I be so arrogant as to try to tell her how to do those things? But she felt perfectly justified in telling me she could teach a class about marriage.

Mike and I discussed it a little. He commented that you really couldn't argue with her because she would take the position of, "See, I told you you thought I was stupid."

"No, I don't think she was stupid. I think her statement was stupid." To me there's a big difference. Plus, it's a lot like people with no children telling you how to raise yours.

(For the record, I did not argue with her. Those two words were the only ones I spoke.)

1 comment:

Tausha said...

Everyone knows all the answers from the outside looking in.